The Roxy Theatre was originally built in the 1800's and was originally called the Playhouse Theatre. The theatre at that time featured vaudeville type performances. In 1936 the building was leased to the Frisina Amusement Company and renamed the New Roxy Theatre. The theatre underwent remodeling and added air conditioning and other modern conveniences.
The Roxy Theatre ran movies until November 6, 1966, when its final curtain fell on "Mary Poppins". After the marquee was removed the building became home to several different businesses over the years.
Then in 2003 a business man from Charleston approached the Shelbyville Chamber of Commerce to see about opeing a drive-in theatre in Shelbyville. Bob Boarman, Shelbyville business owner, offered to assist the Chamber in reopening the downtown theatre - an offer he had made three years prior. It was decided that refurbishing the old Roxy Theatre would be a better choice than a drive in because it would be available year round and would revitalize the downtown area.
Mr. Boarman put up $100,000 of his own money to get the ball rolling to reopen the theatre and it was decided the theatre would be named the Boarman Roxy Theatre. So a group of interested business owners and towns people put in hundreds of volunteer hours to bring the theatre back to life.